Borg Boat Houses
List of Sites
National Registrations in 1979 localised several Boat house-sites along the Inner fjord at Borg. All sites belong to farm nr. 93/11, 500 m North east of Borge Church. Situated North:
1. Boat-house, 16 x 10 m (outer measurements), 0, 5-0, 7 m and 4 m west above high tide measures. A modern boat house is built at the upper end of the site.
10 m south, south west of the western part of site nr. 1:
2. Boat house, 36 x 10 m (outer measurements) and 1,5-2 m above and 4 m West of the high tide.
60 m south of the eastern part of site nr. 1:
3. Boat house, 26 x 11 m (outer measurements), 0, 7-0, 8 m aboveand 4 m west of the high tide.
Along the northern side of site nr. 3:
4. Possible Boat house, 7 x 1, 5 m (inner measurements).
C. 30 m N of site nr. 1:
5. Modern Boat house, 6 x 2 m (inner measurements), 0.5-0, 7 m above and c. 5 m west of the high tide.
Close to boathouses nr.4 and 5, two possible burial mounds have been localised. One of these is not visible today.
Around the inner and outer Borgpollen, 20 Boat house sites are localised (Nilsen 1998). 6 of these can be related to the Borg area. Small scale investigations were carried through by I. Holand in 1989, and detailed records made by Nilsen 1998.
14 C datings from several sites indicate use between AD 892-1026.
Finds from the excavation: Slag-and iron fragments, boat nails, and a piece of slate.
The boat-house sites around the fjord of Borg indicate an active use from Iron Age up to Medieval Times. 5 boat house sites are more than 15 m in length and the largest is registrated with inner measurement of 21,5 m and 22 m.
Other farms in the area with registered boat-houses:
Hagvaag, (4), Boestad, (2), Rystad, (3), Li, (4), Sletteng (1), Knutstad (1) (Nilsen 1998)
- Gril Nilsen 1998: Naust og båt på Vestvågøy i jernalderen , Institute of Archaeology, University of Tromsø
- National registrations done by Kåre Ringstad in 1979
Check out the following sections of the website for related information:
Vestvågøy Sites and Artefacts
Mayo - Vestvågøy - Mid-Argyll
This project has been supported by the EU as part of the Culture 2000 programme.